Pages

Thursday 24 October 2013

London Calling (and it's make up counters!)




  
Where I live, we are literally hours from the likes of Mac, Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown. This is why I always take the opportunity to visit Selfridges and some of the larger Boots/Superdrug stores whenever I'm in London, as they sell a much greater variety of brands than we have back home. 

I did intend to make this a much bigger haul, however I conveniently got ill over my trip, and even missed a family dinner thanks to my lovely sinuses. Anyway, I am really glad for the products I did manage to pick up at Selfridges, John Lewis, Superdrug and Topshop! I shall probably do a more in depth review of these products once I've used them enough, however if there is anything in particular you'd like to see a review on please leave me a comment below.

In no particular order....


1.  Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer in Alabaster Tint - £29 (50ml)
 



I have just about run out of my Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser (sob!), and figured I may as well try a different one just to switch things up a bit. I was surprised to be told I am now "Alabaster" in Bobbi Brown, as it's got quite a pinky undertone although I personally feel this product is a little darker than "Alabaster" in the actual Bobbi Brown foundations.

The consistency/shade is also alot sheerer and lighter than it appears on my arm. Infact, when you blend it in it really does dissapear, alot more than a foundation would. Overall it's coverage is very light, so probably best saved for the days when my skin is behaving itself and I just want a natural look.

I did want to try the Moisturizing Balm, as Essie Button recommended it on her blog, although for some reason the counter assistant said this one would be better suited for me. I'll keep you posted!


2. Origins Make A Difference Plus Moisturizer - £34 (50ml)
 



My skin seems to have an automatic sensor that knows as soon as autumn kicks in, as it will automatically become super dry and dehydrated. I do love my Nivea moisturiser, however when the cold weather comes around I really do have to step things up to keep my skin from becoming tight and uncomfortable.


This was the only item I bought from Selfridges, as I have to admit although I'd been there before I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of people, and I really wasn't sure what counter to go for either! 

I have used Origins products before, and know they are highly regarded so this is what drew me to them. The lady recommended this for my dryness, and said they do a richer version but this could be too much for my skin and cause it to breakout. It has a very refreshing texture and sinks into the skin well, especially under make up so hopefully this will do the trick. 

3. MUA Colour Blast Eyeshadow Tint in Bring it Back - £3





If you had said to me a few years back would I be interested in brown eyeshadow, I would have given you a firm no. Since letting my hair colour grow out, I've suddenly found brown eyeshadow tones to be incredible easy to work with, and it's a colour that genuinely compliments pale skin tones as opposed to standing out too much or being too harsh, like some shades can be.

I became interested in the MUA eyeshadow tints, as I think they are very similar to the Clinique Chubby Sticks (and at a fraction of the price!) 

There are 6 shades to choose from, and I love that the formula is quite creamy and blendable, as well as buildable. I think this works best if you use some similar/neutral coloured eyeshadow underneath as a base to really make the colour pop. I think I'm going to get alot of wear out of this product!


4. Revlon Nail Art Moon Candy in 280 Orbit - £7.99
 


It was love at first sight when I first glanced over these in a recent edition of American Elle Magazine.  If you have seen my nail shelf, you will know I am really into my polishes, especially any special effects that can be layered over the top!

Out of all the shades and combinations available, I liked 280 Orbit the best as it looked the most wearable, not to mention eye catching. I do think at £8 it is a little pricey for a high street nail polish, so hopefully it will live up to the expectation (although I guess you are getting two shades for the price of one!) 


5. Topshop Nail Polish in Razzmatazz - £6








The beauty area on the ground level of Topshop Oxford Circus is truelly incredible, and even sells high end make up brands as well as it's very own Topshop line. I did manage to photograph a tiny amount of what is there (the nail shelf extended way beyond my lense could)... and frankly it was impossible to choose from!

I chose Razzmatazz, because of the way it looked under the shop lights as the way it sparkled really stood out for me. I quickly tested it over Essie's Mint Candy Apple, which is more of a spring/summer shade. The beauty of Razzmatazz is, it literally made MCA look like Christmas wrapping paper, meaning you can still wear your summery shades in autumn/winter too. Perfect!

I will return to Topshop for the other 15 shades I made myself put back....  

1 comment: